Content is not a standalone tool. Never create content that you don’t believe will drive sharing. In addition to sharing your own content in online directories and on social media, earn shares from readers who find extreme value in what you offer.
Common Strategies to Increase Content Shares
The following are key strategies that get people to share your content more consistently so you can maximize its value:
- Target Precisely: The more precisely you target prospects with content that addresses their needs and matches their interests, the more likely they are to find value and want to share it with others.
- Create Emotional Appeals: People are more affected by content that appeals to emotions, such as love, joy, peace of mind, frustration, anger, guilt and sadness. Consider the emotions common within your targeted prospects, and build content to align or mitigate them.
- Include Sharing Buttons: Make it easy for readers to share by offering buttons to top social media and community sharing tools in a prominent location at the top or bottom of your posts. WordPress and other CMS systems have great plugins for automatic sharing buttons.
- Eliminate Print Options: You typically can’t prevent people from printing your content, but you can make it less convenient. By eliminating a “Print” button from your posts and content pieces, and offering a “Share by Email” option, you increase sharing and traffic to your site and blog.
Make People Blush
Expanding on the point about emotional appeals, people are most willing to share content when they have self-interest in doing so. Generate more traffic and garner loyalty by calling positive attention to people and organizations. This is an approach I’ve implemented with strong, consistent success across multiple websites (including the example posted below).
The following are great strategies for making people blush with your content and motivating them to share it with others:
- List Articles: “Top 5” articles and other types of lists that highlight companies, brands and people that succeed in certain areas is sure to appeal to the pride of those featured. Given that these posts reinforce authority and credibility of those brands, sharing your content is a direct benefit to them.
- Social Media Mentions: After writing your list content, or as standalone mentions, call attention to your featured people and brands on social media. Doing so alerts them to the feature, and allows simple re-sharing with their followers. Include a relevant compliment in your social media messages.
This article highlighting top digital marketing experts has received a lot of social media shares and subsequent traffic.
To maximize the value of your time and talents in writing content, prepare a plan in advance for how to get people to share your content. These strategies and tips outlined here contribute effectively!
For more great insights on content marketing and other digital topics, subscribe to our email feed or periodic newsletter!